Monday, August 18, 2008

Concluding thoughts on my summer trip of 2008

Sometimes things happen for a reason. You go with your instincts, leave your comfort zone and find yourself in situations you couldn't possibly dream of. This trip was one of those occasions.

Experiences shape who we become. And this trip definitely had a huge impact on me. I not only was able to learn more about the people I traveled with but also about myself and my relationship to the world around me.

I have been back for only a month and already the world has changed. Russia has invaded Georgia. The 2008 Beijing Olympics are currently underway. Pakistan's president, Pervez Musharraf, has resigned. And Obama is announcing his VP candidate via text message.. just to name a few events.

So where does that leave me? What exactly did I learn on this trip?

The answer: Travel. As much as you can. Whenever you can. To places you might be uncomfortable in.

This is not a revelation. Just something I hold particularly close to my heart.

Thank you to Sven, Monna and Claudio for putting up with me for those three weeks. I had an incredible time! You guys are my family now and I love you all very much!

Thank you to Monna's family. Kiitos. Kiitos. Kiitos. For taking in three foreigners with particularly peculiar personalities! Yes, Sven, I am talking about you as well!

Thank you to my family and friends back in the United States who told me I would be a fool to pass up such a wonderful opportunity and who supported me throughout the trip and now support me back at home. I could not do it without you guys.

And thank you to everyone who has lasted this long reading my blog. It really means a lot to me. I have enjoyed writing each post so I have decided to continue posting. Although it will not necessarily be about international travel anymore (or at least for a little while), it will still be about my adventures in the world around me! I am sure you all are waiting with breath that is bated! ;) See you again soon!

2 comments:

Monna said...

Miss Megan,

My family says you are very welcome. They have been asking after you, making sure you are doing okay! I am glad you enjoyed your trip to my neck of the woods as much as I enjoyed my trip to Seattle. Can you believe this was already our 3rd holiday together!!!I hope we'll reach 30 one day. =)

I agree with your concluding thoughts 100%. Thank you for forcing us to go to Russia - it was a real eye-opener for me. Unlike Sven I kept thinking about our mutual history and how different by life could have been had my grandad and his buddies not fought so bravely against the Soviet Union in the 2nd WW. Also the loveliness of Latvia was a real surprise for me!

I also learned a lot about myself and you lot on this trip. Only good things (and some quite funny things) about you but also some not so great things about myself...boo Mistress Monna and her madness! I'll work on them for our next trip! Haha! Especially on my rhyming skills for our next game of Kings!!! ;o)

I love you now even more than I did before. There are no words to describe how happy I am that you are my friend Miss Megan. I cannot wait for our next trip in 2009!! BRING IT ON!!

Love,

Mistress Monna, xxx

Annie said...

And thanks to you for letting me crash in your room for the month you were gone! :)