Sunday, February 5, 2012

Incredible Birthday in Seoul

Despite the dodgy start to my stay here in Seoul, I've decided to start a relationship with this city.

In all seriousness, I've fallen for this city. There are just some places in the world that you visit and feel comfortable. Just like discovering a deeper connection with a person. The city is incredible. Vibrant, friendly, and clean. It has embraced modernity while still fully respecting its cultural past.

Like I mentioned before, there is not as much English here as in Vietnam but people are always trying to lend a hand even if they do it in Korean. My favorite moment was a man smiling, taking my subway ticket, inserting it in the exit gate and gentle guiding me through the doors. I had been there for several minutes waiting to see someone else go through.

People here don't seem to smile as much here but they still seem very happy. I will need to do more research to validate this conclusion though.

I'm not sure why but this was the first time a subway has intimidated me. My sense of direction is one of the few assets I bring to the table when traveling so feeling as if I couldn't rely on it was unnerving.

However, as always, you just got to go for it in order to figure it out so I decided to take the subway to Gyeongbokgung Palace. After that not only was I instantly comfortable with the system but I also realized how intuitive it was. For example, they number every stop on a line. This helps you figure out what direction you are going and when to get off. It's very helpful if you don't know the language.

At Gyeongbokgung, I was stunned. It was beautiful. Freezing cold but incredible. I saw the changing of the guards which has now gone on my list of favorites. I walked around the many different buildings in the complex. The architecture, sculptures, landscaping and patterns were lovely.

Not having a whole lot of time here, I made my way to the Namdaemun market. For less than $5 I ate like a queen. Even though there were a lot of tourists, I felt like the business men and women of Seoul were out in force, taking advantage of this cheap lunch option.

Now I sit at Incheon International Airport. Awaiting my flight home. I can't believe my journey has come to an end, however, fortunately I know it is not the last.

No comments: