Monday, June 30, 2008

Vasa and the Swedes

Since my last post, I have travelled to Brighton, met up with Monna and flown to Stockholm.

My only comment in regards to my time in between Hatfield and Stockholm is that the English have really done well at creating their own little hell-on-earth in the form of Londons Heathrow airport. I know this is somewhat of a nearsighted comment, however, when you are sitting on the tarmac for an extra hour and a half in the smallest, most uncomfortable seats on the face-of-the-planet and have "missed your window" to fly over Denmark and now need to re-queue for take off, you really dont care much about any of it. All you know is... Heathrow = hell!!!!!

Okay alright. Enough negativity. Its all over. Somehow I got to Sweden and it is wonderful!

For all you Seattleites, Stockholm truly is a home away from home. It is green and clean. The people are friendly and very active. The food is healthy and delicious.

I was very lucky because I got the opportunity to stay with Mikki (pronounced like Mickey), Monnas cousin. Not only is she a lovely woman but she has kindly opened up her home to us and also helped us understand a little about the world of Stockholm (like how to pay for the metro and buses).

Today was a lovely day, although it started out pouring cats and dogs!

This morning we made our way, successfully, on the metro to Gamla Stan, the old city and went on a short self-guilded tour. Then, we headed over to the Vasa Museum, opposite of the the Museum of Modern Art. Vasa has got to be one of the most interesting museums I have ever been to. This museum is dedicated to the Swedish warship, Vasa. Built in only two years, the ship sank twenty minutes into her 1628 maiden voyage! After 333 years at the bottom of Stockholms harbor, she was raised and perserved for all to see! Yippie!



***I will be using stock images until I can replace them with my actual pictures!

Believe it or not by the time we were finished at the museum it was nearly five oclock. We hopped on the metro and headed back to Mikkis. But not before stopping at the grocery store to pick up dinner. What a trip! All I can say is if youre in a foreign country make sure to stop at a place that sells food because it is so weird to see new labels and brands as well as food that you dont even recognize!

After that experience, Monna and I made dinner. And then we sat on the terrace and had dinner until about eleven oclock. Did I mention it was still light out? Gosh, I love Sweden!

2 comments:

Joebroesel said...

Damn, now I regret that I let you go to Sweden without me!! ;-)
But I'm ready for Tallinn! See you there in 40h!

mom said...

Hi my darling daughter!
I'm glad to know you and Monna are having a good time. Just make sure you eat well and get rest to sustain your energy during your travels (I'm allowed one motherly comment).

Love,
MOM