Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Tower of Fat Margaret - Tallinn

Travelling to Tallin by boat was a very interesting experience. I have been on a Cruise ship before but nothing like this. However, first, I must describe the events that lead up to us leaving Stockholm.

The cruise ship to Tallinn was to leave at six oclock on Tuesday evening. The morning was lovely. Monna and I went over to Skansen, the open-air museum in the center of Stockholm. We saw reindeer, elf and bears, oh my! Later, we went on a boat tour through one of the canals and then met up with Miki for our last coffee at the Museum of Modern Art.

Fortunately, while having coffee with Mikki, we realized that due to bus strikes it was going to be a bit challenging to get to the ferry terminal. Basically involving the metro but more terrifying navigating the streets to find the right dock. So we left Mikki with map in hand and returned to her apartment to pack the rest of our things.

As we turned the final corner before her apartment, the clouds broke and it began to rain. My only thought was "just a little, please, just a little!". Once up at Mikkis apartment it was clear that a little was not going to happen. Now it was dumping, and I mean hard! All of a sudden, I began to flash back to the little town in Morocco, where Cole and I had to run through the streets barefoot because we were literally up to our ankles in water! How was I going to manage that in Stockholm though? I have a fifteen pound backpack and about a 25 minute hike to the ferry terminal! Needless to say, Monna and I prepared the best we could. We put on our lightest clothing and headed out to face the rain.

Apparently, the travel gods like us a little because as we marched up the hill towards the closest metro station the rain began to stop! And we managed to make it all the way to the Tallinn ferry terminal without seeing another drop! Phew.

The Tallinn ferry was huge. 10 floors. And who knows how many feet long but a proper cruise ship. Monna and I had a little cabin to ourselves on the eighth deck. That evening we decided to participate in some of the cruises evening activities. Oh wait, no, I decided to participate. Long story short I ended up sing Madonnas "Material Girl" on stage to a crowd of clueless Estonians (and a couple Swedes) who had, apparently, NEVER heard this song before! What!?! Awesome.

With my new found embarrassment, I decided it could not get any worse so Monna and I went down to one of the "clubs" and danced the night away on a partially empty dance floor. The only other people around us where men who obviously had no interest in us ladies.

So now we are in Tallinn. With Sven. Staying in a pretty awesome hostel called Euphoria. The hostel is far enough from Old Town to be cheap but close enough to Old Town so that we can simply walk in. We will stay here for the night and then leave tomorrow afternoon sometime.


*** Food we ate at Old Hansen!!! Yummy!



*** Monna and I with our favorite accessories!!!!

More to come in a bit.... cheers! Miss you all!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you enjoyed my hometown and more soo that we had a look on the computer where your cruise went from so you got there at all ;)
Sounds like a true cruise experience goog on you for joining, didn´t Monna do any singing ;)
I will now read here for your travels onwards and wish you the best of sights and sounds!
Don´t forget to try the "Lonkero" when you hit for the sauna in Finland!
/mikaela

Kerri McClelland said...

Oh where to start my little traveler!!

First, I love the blog its fabulous and you'll find it's addicting. :) Second, the Chinese would love you - especially if you are willing to do karaoke and dance for strange men... hmm.. the only third I can think of is when are you going to come visit me??

Love you girl and am glad you're having the time of your life!

-K

mom said...

Hi my dearest darling daughter!
I am so glad you are having a good time, although I haven't yet decided how I feel about the karaoke and dancing for strange men.......Just make sure you are eating healthy and getting enough rest to maintain the energy that you seem to be expending (I'm entitled to at least 1 motherly comment!). Take care.

Lots of love
(MOM)