Saturday, January 14, 2012

Prep Work Begins

My trip is less than a week away and I'm spending most of this weekend preparing what to bring. I still have my huge backpack from previous adventures but I went to REI today for some additional necessities.
  • A Watch - Not having my cellphone, I will need to know the time and have a functioning alarm. Weird.
  • Bug Spray - I went to a Travel Medicine clinic. They recommended that I always wear bug spray and take Malaria pills.
  • Sunscreen - The malaria pills make you more sensitive to sun but the sunscreen counteracts the bug spray. I was told that I needed to put the sunscreen on 30 minutes before the bug spray. Let's see if I can remember to do that.
  • A Camel Back - My backpack has had a spot for it from the beginning but I decided to buy one specifically because my brother and I are thinking about going into the Cat Tien National Forrest. I'm not sure what type of resources there are but I'd hate to be out of fresh water while hiking around.
  • Iodine Tablets - Just in case.
  • First Aid Kit - Do you know my brother?
  • Travel Towel - It tries quickly and will probably come in handy more often than I anticipated. We'll see.
  • A Power Adapter - I will be bringing my camera and phone so I will need to be able to charge them.

If I'm missing anything that might be particularly important, please let me know.

For me, personally, this is the most unnerving part of the trip. I'm pretty good when it comes to dealing with situations on the spot but I'm bad at planning. Knowing that and how unpredictable the trip will be makes my stomach flip just a bit (that could also be caused by the Typhoid vaccine that is in my system right now). However, the feeling is temporary and passes quickly.

I'm getting more and more excited for my trip by the day. I cannot wait to see my younger brother, whom I have not seen since the summer and I look forward to exploring a new country.


1 comment:

Joebroesel said...

Well, as long as you have your towel with you, nothing can go wrong!